Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Not So Official Officiant....Check!

Winding down the never-ending to-do list of wedding planning, there was always one part that was necessary but, I felt it was out of my control. The Officiant. It sat there, looking at me....asking me constantly, "Who are you going to pick?" "Who's going to marry you guys?" I would just sit there and stare back, dumbly, "I have no clue!"

I didn't want a stranger to marry us but, it didn't seem as if I had a choice. I feel like if you're going to have someone act as your Officiant, they should know you as a couple. They should remember what you were like at the beginning and how you grew together to come to this day, the start of your new life together. F and I don't belong to a church, so a religious figure was out. I couldn't really think of anyone that would fit the bill and thought that we'd be stuck paying a stranger $100 to oversee our vows.

I sent an email to our closest friends, some who have moved away and some I haven't talked to in forever, to let them know that we were moving to the Bay for F's new job. I came across my old roommate and good friend L and realized I hadn't talked to her in a LONG time....too long. So, I wrote her an extra update- hey, how are you, long time, F and I are engaged- can you believe it?, how are you/the dog/the boyfriend, yada yada yada.

She wrote back with her synopsis, glad to hear from you, wow, you guys are getting married- congrats, life's good here, still unemployed (aren't we all?), etc. Then, there was the wedding saving P.S. By the way, I'm certified if you need someone to marry you :) It was like the skies opened and a ray of light shone on me, I might have heard a choir singing hallelujah. OK, that's a little much. But, this is perfect! L was there at the beginning, she was my roommate at the time- she was there when I REALLY didn't want to go to the Superbowl party where I'd meet F, she was there when we had our first everything, and we both know and love her. Ha! Take that Officiant....now you can cross your little self off the list.

Share 

No comments:

Post a Comment