Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wedding Dress Shopping Won't Kill You!

As the day for my wedding dress appointment got closer and closer, I felt more and more nervous. Usually I'm a T-shirt and jeans kinda gal and for some reason on the morning of the appointment, I felt like my stomach was in knots. As we pulled into the Pruneyard Shopping Center in Campbell, California, I thought I was going to throw up all over my mom's car. What if I didn't find it? What if I couldn't afford it once I found it? How many of these things will I have to try on before it's wine time?

As we stepped into the salon- mom, maid of honor and 10 year old iPod-toting niece in tow- we were greeted warmly by THE Trudy. I was a little surprised since this is a chain that the actual Trudy was there in all her glory behind the counter, ringing up orders and greeting everyone that came through the door with a warm handshake. She welcomed us to have some water and cookies and that it'll only be a moment. The shop was stocked full of dresses and there were little stages for the brides to parade their dresses on with 3-way mirrors and seats for their judging panel- lots of moms and BFFs and oohs and ahhhs.

My consultant, Terry, came and I filled out some paperwork about my wedding. I had brought some photos of what I wanted but, let her know that I wasn't interested AT ALL in A-line traditional bridesy gowns and foofoo princess dresses with tiaras. I was getting married on a beach and thought it best to be as simplistic as possible. In my head, I had an idea that I didn't want long trains and strapless gowns at all but, also promised my entourage that I'd try on everything brought to me.

Terry disappeared and pulled out numerous dresses for me to try on based on my pictures. The first one, spoiler alert: ended up being the winner, was GORGEOUS, a La Sposa strapless mermaid with a long train and tiny ruging (I know, I know...never rule anything out). Now the oohs and ahhs were being directed at me, but I didn't feel that feeling that I've been told about. I didn't cry, I didn't automatically envision myself walking down the aisle and F's eyes lighting up, I didn't hypervenilate with excitement- none of that.

Terry was patient with me as I tried on every other dress, just to come back to the first. Then, the bomb dropped and I found out the price. My MOH talked me down and said, I know how you feel but, trust me, on your wedding day, it won't matter.

So, we paid the deposit and there was Trudy raving how I had been the first "small girl" to try it on and that I looked verrrrry European. I'm not quite sure what that meant but, she meant it as a compliment. Terry came out and gave me a hug and said that she'd have the dress, in my size, in a few weeks.

That was it?!? It was sooo easy, I couldn't believe it, and I actually kinda enjoyed myself. Trudy's is the best- they're warm, patient, knowledgeable, professional and, most importantly, will talk you off the ledge enough to find you THE dress. My only lesson to you is to be sure to mention your budget first, in any wedding dress shopping extravaganza- that way you're not shown a bunch of dresses you can't afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment