Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Ice the Cake

There are loads of wedding directories out there but none quite like Ice The Cake.    This directory is run by the fabulous Sue and I asked her a few questions about what inspired her to create this great site and what her plans are for the future.






What inspired you to create Ice The Cake?

My inspiration initially came from two things my own experience of wedding suppliers for my wedding and my search for excellent customer service.  I wanted somewhere to be able to show my appreciation to the wedding suppliers who first and foremost had been involved in our wedding so we created Ice the Cake as somewhere to do just that.  In addition, I have always been a stickler when it comes to exceptional service and I am a firm believer that companies should always give 100%. That doesn’t mean there won’t occasionally be issues, but in my opinion, it’s about how they are dealt with that makes the difference between good and bad customer service.

What were the biggest obstacles you faced when setting up the site?
I didn’t have any obstacles as such as I have been self-employed for several years but creating the website has been a massive learning curve as I have designed it myself and I know nothing about techy stuff (well I knew nothing – I guess now I know quite a lot!).  I am however in the process of talking with ‘professionals’ about creating ‘Phase 2’ of the website.

How did you market your site to get the buy in of those Incredible and Credible Suppliers?
I think finding in’credible’ wedding suppliers has been quite easy.  There are many small businesses out there with fabulous people running them but they cannot afford to get their voices heard through the normal advertising routes.  I am therefore here trying to be an intermediary if you like, by creating online and face to face advertising opportunities with minimal outlay.  I am particular about who I include on the website and have turned some companies away, having taken the decision not to promote ‘direct selling’ organisations.  I am looking for unique companies, those that create beautiful handmade products, ethical and eco-friendly companies, and those who are dedicated to exceptional customer service.  I can’t say that the suppliers we work with won’t at some point provide a less than perfect service as this is something I have no control over and each company works in their own way, but, I am taking the time to get to know the suppliers with the aim of having personally met at least 75% of all advertisers on our website by the end of the year.


What are your biggest successes so far?
Well after tomorrow I hope to be able to say that my biggest success will be our first Wedding Fayre and that we will have raised a large amount for Cancer Research UK.  We are on target to have raised over £200 before we even open the doors so I am very proud of that.  Being included in Wedding Ideas Magazine’s ‘Top Trend’ section was wonderful and I have to say I nearly fell of my chair when I received an email from Elle Magazine inviting me to be included in their August Issue!

Where do you see Ice The Cake going in the next few years?

So much has happened already and we are still only a very new company but we have lots of plans set for the coming months.  I hope to establish a company that Brides and Grooms can trust when searching for suppliers for their weddings and I am extremely excited about creating the ‘Credible and Incredible’ Wedding Suppliers awards which I hope to get underway in the Autumn! 


What is the best part of your job?
Working from home so I get time to spend with my two children and also the fact that I love what I am doing.  I am getting to do what I do best – researching, co-ordinating and above all chatting!!  I am very excited about the future of the business and hope we will continue to go from strength to strength.






Not only has Sue created this fantastic directory but she has also been nominated for a Mumprenuer Award which she will hear about later in the year, and we at Beauty Weddings wish her all the very best and have everything crossed for a well deserved award coming her way.



You can visit Ice The Cake on their website



Like their Facebook page  and follow on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment